STYPENDIA OPEN SOCIETY ARCHIVES
Fundusz Wyszehradzki zachęca pracowników naukowych do składania dokumentów do Open Society Archives.
Termin składania dokumentów: 15.11.2018 r.
The Vera and Donald Blinken Open Society Archives announces the joint Visegrad Scholarship at OSA scheme for the 2018/19 academic year. Annually 15 scholarships of 2 000 EUR each are offered to support a 2-months long stay and research at the Blinken OSA in Budapest. We invite researchers, scholars, journalists and artists from the fields of social sciences, history, philosophy and arts to research our collections and reflect on the conditions of knowledge production during and after the Cold War. Application deadlines for the submissions in the 2018/19 academic year are July 25, 2018 and November 15, 2018.
The applications could be inspired by (but not limited to) the suggested topics below :
- Toolkits and media practices to ensure objectivity
Conceptualizing and classifying opposition (
selection and support for what counts as a "movement", "dissidence" or "non-conformism")
- Techno-sciences of mass communication
- Cold War wikipedia: documenting personalities and biographies (biographical card files, personal archives)
- Circuits of communication and (anti-)propaganda techniques: information gathering and classification, textual and visual dissemination (book programs, samizdat, TV monitoring, instructional and documentary movies)
- Problems of documentation and verification of human rights abuses
- Construction of political ‘facts’ amidst socio - economic issues (standards of living, urbanization, education, religion etc); Historical analysis of socialist welfare policy and poverty under communism
- Documenting transnational phenomena in a time of polarized visions and imbalances between centers and peripheries
- Consequences of Cold War conceptual schemes and treatment of information on current economic and socio-political issues
Application package shall contain:
- Application letter in English (should specify expected period of stay and preferred dates). Please note that the Archive’s Research Room is closed during the Christmas period, and the research stay must end on the last day of the academic year, July 31, 2019.
- Research description/plan in English (about 800 words; should indicate the relationship between the current research topic, the chosen collection in the OSA holdings and the general research interest, etc.). Artists are expected to submit a portfolio, too.
- Curriculum Vitae (C.V.)
- Proof of officially recognized advanced level English language exam (native speakers and those with qualification from an English language institution/degree program are exempted)
- Names of two referees with contact address. Letters of reference are not needed.
Head of Administration
Vera and Donald Blinken Open Society Archives
Arany János u. 32, 1051 Budapest, Hungary